Friday, March 23, 2012

New York!

Yesterday morning, I flew out from Illinois to New York for an author workshop with Dreamspinner Press.  I'm having an awesome time!  Maybe too awesome, as I'm preparing to head out to a restaurant called Lips to see some drag queens with some fellow authors and cover artists.

Elizabeth shared all sorts of data and stats about the company, which I loved because numbers make me excited.  (Have I mentioned I went to math camp when I was in fifth grade?  Yes, I was one of those.)  I'm the type of writer who works when the inspiration strikes and focuses on other projects when inspiration is low.  Right now?  Inspired as hell.

Having not been around the m/m romance scene for too long, I haven't had a chance to read too many authors.  Instead of getting to know their work and then meeting them in person, I'm going the other way around.  That's fine with me, because I'm much more likely to take a risk on a new author if I know from experience that they're a lovely person.

On the other hand, I'm very well versed in cover art.  Getting to meet the other "hands" behind the book covers was great, and we got a chance to talk shop (and Photoshop) together.  It was also really nice of Elizabeth to include me in the discussion on cover art even though I'm new and have only done a handful of covers, in contrast to the three other majorly experienced cover artists at the event.  I also really enjoy hearing how the other artists work.

Now there are so many people I'm going to have to track down on the interwebs and stalk.  In about an hour, I'm heading out to a drag show for the first time with a bunch of other authors/artists.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment