Thursday, March 8, 2012

No More Audiobooks For Me :(

Today is a sad day.  I had to cancel my Audible account.

I originally signed up when I worked a day job with a long commute, and the audiobooks were great during my car ride.  I also thought (erroneously) that I'd be able to listen to audiobooks while doing my freelance projects, but I tend to focus so much on the art that I end up missing huge portions of the narration.

I had twelve unused credits.  I really should have bought something, but I was having too much trouble making the decision, so I just said "screw it" and threw them all away.  I have a backlog of downloaded books I have yet to listen to anyway, and not enough disk space to keep downloading more.

I do enjoy reading the old fashioned way more than listening.  It's faster, and you're guaranteed not to get a bad narrator.  But in the end, it all came down to money.  While I make a comfortable living, the incoming stream of money isn't as steady and reliable as when I had a day job.  Hence I have to be more frugal, and ebooks generally cost less than audiobooks.

It's too bad.  With my work schedule, it's getting harder and harder to fit in reading time, and audiobooks are one of the things that give you the option of multitasking.  Too bad, indeed.

Okay, gonna stop whining now!  Maybe someday I'll sign up again...  Someday when I'm rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment